Admission criteria vary from department to department and course to course. If you are interested in registering for any of the courses listed on this website, you should proceed to the application procedure and forms given on this website, or contact the Faculty or department offering the course, directly. All postgraduate courses of the University of Kelaniya have a syllabus approved by the Senate of our university, outlining the objectives, duration, contents and assessment scheme of each course. Please use the homepage of the University of Kelaniya, for contact information of Faculties and departments.
Application Procedure for Master’s Degree
a. Collect the admission form from the relevant department and fill it.
b. Make payment for the Master’s course.
c. Submit completed admission form and receipt of payment to FGS.
Either FGS or the relevant department will inform you of the dates of the lectures, the duration of the semesters, and the requirements for completion of coursework and assignments. It is your responsibility to ensure you complete all requirements for completion of the Master’s Degree.
Application Procedure for MPhil & PhD
i. Download admission form or collect admission form from FGS, University of Kelaniya.
ii. Make payments according to course you wish to register for.
iii. Submit completed form and receipt of payment to FGS.
Once you have completed these 3 steps, FGS or the relevant department will contact you to arrange for your meeting and presentation with senior academics of the Faculty. Approval of the department and Faculty is required for FGS to inform you of acceptance as a candidate for the MPhil or the PhD.
- Admission Form
- Payment Form / Receipt
- Research Proposal
- Acceptance of Terms of Postgraduate Study
- Progress Report Form
- Notification of Thesis Submission
- Receipt of Thesis
Application Checklist for MPhil & PhD
1. All candidates for MPhil and PhD must submit certified copies of birth and degree /equivalent certificates with applications.
2. When submitting applications, proof of payment of Rs. 500/= should be submitted.
3. As a preliminary step, candidates need to write a research proposal to FGS. [FGS FORM]
4. FGS will send the proposal to the relevant Head of Department (HOD) who will invite the candidate to make a presentation on the research proposal, to senior academics.
5. If the department recommends the candidate, the HOD will send the signed proposal to FGS, through the Board of Study (BOS) of the relevant Faculty.
6. Successful applicants will be informed by FGS, based on recommendation by BOS and FGS board. Eligible applicants will be informed of the department of their candidature, and the name/s of the supervisor/s they are assigned to.
7. Candidates need to register for an MPhil/PhD within 3 months of receiving the letter.
8. Candidates must inform FGS of acceptance of application and submit proof of payment of Rs. 9000/= being registration and initial payment for MPhil, and Rs. 12,000/= for a PhD.
A. FACULTY OF HUMANITIES: MPhil / PhD
i. Candidates need to sit 02 papers set by the department, related to their research.
ii. On successful completion of these papers (i.e. getting over 50% marks), the candidates are eligible to prepare their theses.
iii. Candidates must submit a progress report to the supervisor every six months. A copy of the progress report needs to be sent to FGS. [FGS FORM]
iv. When ready, candidates must write to Dean, FGS stating that they will hand over the thesis in three months’ time. This is the Notification of Submission of Thesis [FGS FORM].
v. Candidates must show proof of payment of Rs. 6500/= for the 2nd year, Rs. 2000/= per year of extension if any, and Rs. 10,000 as examination fees.
vi. If the candidate decides to revise the topic of the thesis, s/he must inform FGS in writing, via the Supervisor and HOD.
vii. If the topic is different from the one registered for, the thesis will not be accepted by FGS.
viii. Without the signature of the Supervisor and the letter through HOD, the thesis will not be accepted by FGS.
B.FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES: MPhil / PhD
I. Candidates need to present a seminar paper at the end of each year of study. This must be done in conjunction with the Supervisor and HOD. It will be convened by FGS.
II. Candidates must submit a progress report to the Supervisor every six months. A copy of the progress report needs to be sent to FGS. [FGS FORM]
III. When ready, candidates must write to Dean, FGS stating that they will hand over the thesis in three months’ time. Candidates may use the Notification of Thesis Submission form for this.
IV. Candidates must show proof of payment of Rs. 6500/= for the 2nd year, Rs. 2000/= per year of extension if any, and Rs. 10,000 as examination fees.
V. If the candidate decides to revise the topic of the thesis, s/he must inform FGS in writing, via the Supervisor and HOD.
VI. If the topic is different from the one registered for, the thesis will not be accepted by FGS.
VII. Without the signature of the Supervisor and the letter through HOD, the thesis will not be accepted by FGS.
The duration of postgraduate courses varies according to the contents of the program. However, the diploma courses and Master’s degree courses follow a specified calendar, which is given to the students at the beginning of the course. The timelines for handing over assignments and theses are also given to the students, so that they have adequate time for preparation.
The duration for courses by research only varies, dependent on the availability of time on the part of the student and supervisor. It is incumbent on the part of the candidate of courses by research only, to make appointments and consult the assigned supervisor on a regular basis.
For further information - Contact
|FGS Assistant Registrar