Call for Applications for Association of Commonwealth Universities Residential School, 18-21 December 2017, Malaysia
“Giving student leaders practical means to promote respect and understanding”
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
Monday 18 – Thursday 21 December 2017
The Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) has partnered with Heriot-Watt University and Common Purpose to deliver a leadership programme for 20 students from member institutions on the theme of respect and understanding.
Applications are invited from undergraduate and postgraduate students of any discipline. One candidate will be nominated from University of Kelaniya.
The ACU Residential School will bring a diverse group of students together to explore practical measures to promote tolerance and better intercultural relations at their home institutions and beyond.
The programme will support students in driving positive social change in their institutions and communities by looking at a practical challenge: What can be done to create tolerant and inclusive communities in your institutions and beyond?
Through immersion and experiential techniques, participants will have a unique opportunity to gain the leadership skills required to lead in situations where they have no formal authority, and learn and practice the skills required to quickly understand and address complex issues.
Students will then create a plan to take back to their home universities to promote respect and understanding within the institution. By the end of the Residential School, participants will be given exclusive access to a forum where they will be able to share their progress and exchange ideas.
As part of the programme, participant will meet senior leaders in Kuala Lumpur such as the Country Head of Asylum Access, a Senior Lawyer at the Malaysian Bar Council, and the Founder of Better Cities, to name a few.
Common Purpose runs leadership development programmes that inspire and equip people to work across boundaries. This enables participants to solve complex problems in organisations and in society.
Who could apply?
Applications are open to undergraduate and postgraduate students studying any subject at the University of Kelaniya.
Students who can demonstrate an ability to lead (i.e. experience in a student society, students union, or community organisation), and with the capacity to affect change on their return to their institutions.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate students should apply using this editable PDF application form.
- Applications should be submitted to Director, International Affairs attaching one academic and one non-academic reference
ON OR BEFORE 18th September 2017
In their application, candidates are asked to outline their opinion on how universities should be involved in promoting respect and understanding between people of different faith, beliefs and culture. This should describe the challenges and opportunities involved in diverse university settings, including examples from their home university.
Applicants will be expected to endorse the ACU’s Statement of shared values as part of their applications.
What is included?
Participating students will receive the following, free of charge:
- Full participation in the four-day programme
- Food and refreshments for the duration of the programme: breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner (all meals will be served on campus)
- Student accommodation at the ARC, Cyberjaya, on a twin sharing basis (with bedding included)
- Access to utilities and facilities at accommodation, e.g. swimming pool, WiFi, etc.
- Bus transfers, one round-trip per day, between Heriot-Watt University Malaysia campus and student accommodation
Participants will be responsible for:
- Return flights from home city and airport transfers (note that limited travel bursaries are available)
- Arranging all vaccinations required for travel to Kuala Lumpur
- Arranging visas (where required) for travel to Kuala Lumpur and for the duration of stay. Heriot-Watt University Malaysia can provide invitation letter on request. Relevant information may be sourced at www.malaysiaonlinevisa.org
Centre for International Affairs, N3 301, University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka
Tel.: +94 112903797; +94 112991838 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org